Monday, May 7, 2012

Cycling this week - 05-06-2012

Another week of drizzly weather during the middle of the workweek, so no commuting again.  Jack was feeling neglected, so I took him out on Saturday.  Irit and I rode up to the Rose bowl and back.  We rode up there and did one loop around and then back out.  We stopped at the Gamble House for a break on the way back.  The Gamble house was built by the Greene brothers for Mr. Gamble, of "Proctor & Gamble" back in the early 1900's, and were famous for starting the "craftsman" style of architecture.  We did 19 miles.

Here is a picture of Irit in front of the Gamble house


On Sunday, I rode up to the top of Glendora Mountain Road (GMR) and back - 54 miles in 3:45.  It turned out to much warmer than I thought it would be.  On the way back I stopped by Dave's house and got an extra bottle of water to make it the last 17 miles home, as I had drained both going up the mountain.  There were a lot of sport bikes out on the road and a few bicycles as well, however, the shack was empty when I got there.

Here are a couple of bikes that blew past me at about 60 miles an hour.  The guy in front is actually waving at me.


Here is the infamous "shack" actually its just part of the county public works dept. where they store materials for repairing the road, there was no one there.


Sign at the shack.


Trusty R3 got me to the top of another mountain, and back down.


These purple flowers have just sprung out in the last two weeks or so.


I actually got up to 39 miles an hour on the way down, but I was too chicken to take my hand off the bars to take a picture, so 27.6 is all I could get a picture of.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha! Scary ain't it Bob! I use the video at 30 on the GMR descent. Not too bad but 40 scared the heck out of me! It gets better! ;-)

    ReplyDelete